WARM & COOL
Learn the basics about warm and cool paint colors, see some of our favorites, and learn how your choice of warm or cool color influences your home’s style.
Every color can be categorized as either a warm color, or a cool color. Discover the notes and nuances of both, and use their distinct characteristics to get the look you want.
Favorite Warm Interior Paint Colors for Homeowners
Check out these gorgeous examples of warm paint colors we get asked about the most.
Favorite Cool Interior Paint Colors for Homeowners
We recommend these paint colors for homeowners looking for cool interior hues.
Using Warm & Cool Colors In Your Home: A Guide
- Warm colors are typically used to create cozy and intimate spaces.
- Brighter warm colors are often associated with energy, playfulness and happiness including Million Dollar Red 2003-10, Orange Burst 2015-20, and Sundance 2022-50.
- Warm paint colors are popular in kitchens and living rooms.
- Warmer hues make larger spaces feel more inviting.
- Cool colors contribute to a sleek, yet soothing vibe.
- Calm, relaxation and freshness are all attributes of cooler shades, including Ocean Air 2123-50, Winter Lake 2129-50, and Evening Dove 2128-30.
- Cool paint colors are popular in bathrooms and bedrooms.
- Cooler hues make smaller spaces feel more expansive.
Living Room: Warm vs. Cool
A living room in warm Stardust 2108-40 evokes a comfortable, welcoming vibe • The same living room in cool Gossamer Blue 2123-40, delivers a vibrant, crisp energy.
Bedroom: Warm vs. Cool
A bedroom in warm Mellow Pink 2094-70 beckons with a delicate softness • The same bedroom, in cool Instinct AF-575, is calming, yet revitalizing.